Privacy and Confidentiality
This University of Hull online survey (kindly funded by the ESRC) gives you the chance to share with us your experience of being in arrears and to help others in a similar situation to keep their home. This independent research study aims to find out more about the experiences of people who have fallen behind with their rent or mortgage payments. The hope is that the research team, led by Dr Lisa Whitehouse, will be able to find ways to improve the processes involved and thereby assist some people in avoiding the loss of their home
Before taking part in this study you might like to know that:
- data gathered in this study will be stored anonymously and securely;
- all personal information will remain confidential and all efforts will be made to ensure that you cannot be identified (unless the law demands otherwise);
- keeping your personal data confidential is required under the EU General Data Protection Regulation. The data controller for GDPR purposes is the University of Hull.
- this research study is not being conducted for, or on behalf of, the Ministry of Justice (MoJ), or Her Majesty's Courts and Tribunals Service (HMCTS), but the research team have received permission from the MoJ to approach court users to request that they complete this online survey. It is entirely the choice of each individual that I contact, as to whether or not they agree to complete the survey.
- by completing this survey you voluntarily consent to participate in the project but you can withdraw at any time without giving reasons and you will not be penalised for withdrawing nor will you be questioned on why you have withdrawn; and
- the answers provided by participants in the survey may be used in reports, publications and other research outputs and will be archived on open sources such as the UK Data Service and the UKRI ‘Gateway to Research’ but all participants will remain anonymous throughout.
On the next few pages you will find a series of questions which we would ask you to complete in as much detail as you can. Please feel free to leave any questions you do not wish to answer blank.
To proceed please click 'next' to be taken to the 'Participant Information Sheet' which will tell you more about the project.
You can find out more about the project here and on Twitter at @homemattersEngland and @homemattersCymru. If you have any questions about the survey, you can email us at:
We would like to thank you for taking the time to complete this survey.